06 June 2010

A Night On The Town: An Acrobat of the Hirondelle

Colette's nerves were shaken, but her voice was steady. "Marguerite, how glad I am to see you this evening. I trust you've not been bothered unduly in my absence?" She stood at her friend and co-worker's arm, giving a severe look to the tall, muscular acrobat. She felt a ripple of distaste at the colours of his clothes, at the plume in his hat. It was all too familiar, and she was irked by the visual reminders his garb offered up all too freely.

The man bowed slightly to her, taking note of the rosette she wore as well. Thankfully, she had changed out of her flashy costume and into a more subdued one, but the little glinting gear still stood out more than she would have liked. Pride had compelled her to fasten it on, against her better judgment. She made no move to cover, it; nor did she show it off as Marguerite had done.

"I noticed your performance," she said, acting friendly enough for now but still wary. "How lucky the patrons are to witness such a spectacle for free, after the circus has closed for the night. Are you a performer?"

"I am," The man puffed out his chest proudly. "Of the Hirondelle--and never a finer nor more famous a group shall you witness, on my honour. We came into town today, and our first show is tomorrow. Perhaps you both will be in attendance. I'm sure you'll find our acts are quite worth the ticket." He grinned, emboldened by the wine he'd had, and probably by the adoration of the girls from earlier. "Though, there are other ways to pay. We might arrange a deal to cover your, ah, entrance."

Colette's lips thinned. "I shall have to decline, though I speak not, of course, for my companion. Ask her yourself, if you think a lady in a uniform such as hers will be so easily trifled with. No telling what will happen if you utter such rudeness to one so uniquely talented."

No comments:

Post a Comment

* o