20 June 2010

Consorting with the Enemy: Revenge

Colette softened immediately, reaching out to touch the fortune teller's arm with gratitude. "Alexandra, I thank you. I..." She let out a shaky breath. "I think I may have made a mistake today. In seeing the Hirondelle perform, I left my own family unprotected." She shook her head. "I don't even know if what I found out was worth it."

She stepped away, crossing her arms. "The damage. We're lucky it was only the one ship--though there's no telling how many of Marguerite's little beasts were harmed." She frowned unhappily, feeling the weight of the ship's destruction heavy on her shoulders. If only she had been here to stop the twins. Sneaky, devious bastards. She wouldn't be surprised if they were acting on orders of the Hirondelle's ringmaster. He was a vindictive man, quick to anger and even quicker to vengeance.

She turned to the seer again, feeling at a loss. "Can you do a reading for me? I have some questions that have been unanswered for far too long." Her heart was leaping in her chest, and she rubbed her palms over her bare, jacketless arms, feeling bare without her flashy costume. She had faith in the cards, if not in herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

* o