15 May 2010

A Night on the Town: Introducing Alexandra Arista

Good evening and may the stars shine kindly on you, my friends. Let me introduce myself: I am Alexandra Arista, the fortune teller of Cirque de la Vapeur. I have been with the circus for 5 years and we have gained considerable fame through the years, due to the troupe’s considerable talents and my uncannily accurate predictions. Now, you may ask me: do I actually see visions of the future in my tea leaves and crystal ball? As for that, you’ll just have to wait and see.

*********

Alexandra stepped carefully across the rough cobbles as she followed Marguerite through the streets to the opium den. While she had her own particular vices, usually indulging in the Green Fairy, she hadn’t yet ventured to try opium or “chasing the dragon” as it was sometimes called.

Marie kept close to Alexandra’s side as they walked towards the opium den. She didn’t blame her; despite growing up on the streets she still had much to learn and was quite young compared to the rest of the circus troupe.

As they walked, Alexandra could hear her dress the swish and slither. She had bought the finely woven raw silk on one of the Circus’ rounds through the Moorish Empire. The silk had been dyed a deep gold which glinted and chased away the darkness of the streets. It was the first time Alexandra had worn her new dress out, not wanting to ruin the fine garment. It’s far too expensive to wear just any day, after all, it did take 3 months to make, she told herself. But Alexandra really knew that she hesitated in wearing it because of how deep the neckline was cut and the strategically sheer panels. But tonight’s a perfect night on the town to practice wearing my new dress, she thought to herself as she followed Marguerite through the streets, I just hope we don’t run into Asmodeus tonight, I’m sure he would have some choice comments to say about it.
Marguerite’s knocking on the green door drew her from her thoughts. As they went through the doorway, Alexandra eagerly peered into the semi-darkness of the hallway beyond, wondering what the opium den would hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

* o