26 May 2010

A Night on the Town: Entering the Den

Alexandra handed her cloak to Antoine and turned towards Marie tell her more about the Cirque de la Hirondelle, the Circus of the Swallow.

“They’re one of the most well know circuses in the Empires and they’ve been around for a long time, even before we were, but for the past few years Cirque de la Vapeur’s been stealing the show.” Alexandra grinned, reveling in pride at the success of her home circus.

Marguerite led the way through the thick black velvet curtain into a spacious and surprisingly luxurious room with a distinct Moorish Empire atmosphere, which was common theme of opium dens. There were couches upholstered in heavy crimson brocade with matching overstuffed winged armchairs, colourful Persians rugs strewn across the wood floor and a few piles of large, comfortable looking floor pillows.

“Come on, let’s get a drink,” Alexandra said as she gestured towards the mahogany bar with well stocked shelved ranging across the wall behind it. She sauntered over to the bar, for in her new dress it was hard to do anything but saunter, trailing multicoloured scarves behind her. “Hello there,” Alexandra said as she smiled at the bartender and leaned casually against the bar.

“Well, you must be new in this town because I know I have never seen you before tonight,” the bartender said, tipping his bowler and bowing slightly, “my name is Henri. How may I serve you on such a fine night?”

“I think I’ll be indulging in my usual vice tonight: a glass of Pernod Fils Absinthe, French style of course.”

“A follower of the Green Fairy, eh?” Henri asked as he began to prepare the drink.

“But of course, it is a favorite among artists, performers and the like. What would you like to drink, Marie?” Alexandra turned and asked her young friend who had followed her to the bar. “Consider it my treat for an excellent performance tonight.”

Marie grinned and bounced at the compliment. “I think I’ll try the opium tea with lemon and 2 sugar cubes please,” she told the bartender.

“Of course, darling, I’ll have it right to you. And here’s your absinthe, mademoiselle. What name shall I put on the tab?” He asked the fortune teller.

“Alexandra Arista, if you please, of the Cirque de la Vapeur”

Henri raised his eyebrows at the name of the famous circus and once again tipped his hat to her and Marie. “I’m honoured that you would pick this humble establishment for your night’s entertainment. I’ve heard wonderful things about the show and I have tickets for tomorrow night.”

“Wonderful! I would highly recommend staying after or arriving early to see Marguerite’s Miniature Menagerie, as it is quite spectacular,” Alexandra said as she waved a hand towards where Marguerite was standing and talking with Antoine, “she is quite a talented scientist.”

“I'll make sure to arrive early then, especially if she is as charming as you and your young companion,” Henri said with a smile as he placed a delicate tea cup painted with light swirls of colour and a matching saucer in front of Marie. “There you go, darling. Enjoy the evening and let me know if there’s anything you require.”

“Thank you!” Marie exclaimed and tried the tea. “Oooo, this is good.”

Alexandra smiled, picked up her drink from the bar and turned to survey the room and the patrons lounging there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

* o