13 July 2010

Reassuring words

Asmodeus drew a rag from his back pocket, trying desperately to wipe the soot from his hands. He looked down at his white shirt, now marked and scarred by the flames and ashes, and shuddered as a feeling of rage coursed through his body. Colette’s speech did nothing to quell his temper; this was an open act of aggression, and Asmodeus was known to hold a grudge. In his present state of mind, the notion of stalking over to Hirondelle and murdering those pernicious acrobats was a rather tantalizing one. Could pass it off as a new act; maybe get some money to replace my shirt.

He was fully engrossed in his private schemes when he heard Colette’s thunderous voice call him over. Like a spark igniting tinder, Asmodeus’ anger flared, threatening to engulf his senses. S'bout time! I bet Colette’s rounding up a gang to go repay the sparrows for their gesture. In a fury, Asmodeus stormed over to the ringmaster.

"Asmodeus..." She spoke quieter now, a bit of her bravado fading. "I'm not sure that I can do it." She crossed her arms more tightly, feeling a chill even in the warm, acrid-scented air. "I don't know how to win against a man who fights so unfairly."

As quickly as it rose, Asmodeus’ ire ebbed and drained away. He had never seen Colette like this, and it shook him to his core. She spent all her time showing how strong and resilient she was that he often forgot she had other facets. His features softened, and his voice lost its edge. “I suppose Alexandra’s cards told you who’s responsible for this?” Colette simply nodded. “Take a walk with me, dear. It really is a fine afternoon.” Putting his hand on her shoulder, the two slowly made their way out of the encampment and towards a stand of tall trees, trailed by a shadowed figure flitting behind tents and bushes.

Tall oaks stretched forth their boughs above the pair, creating a vaulted ceiling of all the shades of green, the sunlight filtering down to touch the low shrubs flanking the dusty path. A faint breeze swept the treetops and the soft rustling of the leaves masked the noises of the camp’s cleanup, allowing Colette to temporarily forget the afternoon’s events. Asmodeus observed her serene aspect out of the corner of his eyes, and spoke. “Colette, do you remember when you first found me, two years ago in Vincennes? I seem to remember having found myself one too many companions that evening, several of whom were spoken for. You recognized me from my show and, cool as an autumn breeze, sauntered over and posed as my wife, scolding me the whole way out the door. That’s just who you are.” Colette cocked an eyebrow, and gave him an unsettled look. Somewhere close by, a bush gasped. Asmodeus quickly stammered, “Well, not my wife, of course, but the one who takes action, who always has a plan, and a good one at that.”

“But Jacque is ruthless! He has no compassion, no mercy! How am I to compete with such a cruel opponent?”

“It’s like you say. ‘The show must go on’. We need to beat Hirondelle on its own ground; under the tent. We’ll hit him where he’s most vulnerable; his pride.” Asmodeus stepped forward, and gave Colette a warm embrace. “And Jacque may rule by fear, but you have the love and respect of the whole crew.” Stepping back, he added, “I apologize for my actions in the opium den. Something about magicians; we always want to make people disappear.”

“You don’t need to apologize. You only had our interests at heart.”

Asmodeus cast her a reassuring smile. “Carry on as usual tonight, and leave the Hirondelle to me. I won’t let you down.”

Mary had been trying to work her way closer to the pair throughout the whole conversation, and had found an overhanging branch on which to hide directly above the clearing. As she inched her way further along, eager to hear them better, the bough gave way. With a startled shriek, a red-faced Mary came crashing down in a cloud of dirt of leaves next to Asmodeus. He turned towards her, having wondered when she would appear. “Ah, Mary, you’re just who I wanted to see. If you’d go find Marguerite, and ask if she’d come see me. Then the two of you meet me in my cabin.” He reached out to tousle the young girl’s hair, and then said to Colette, “Let’s see to our family, shall we?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

* o