27 April 2010

A Night on the Town: Introducing Marguerite Dubois

I am Marguerite Dubois, former asylum nurse and current mad scientist for Cirque de la Vapeur, the keeper of Marguerite’s Miniature Menagerie. Entering my second year with the circus, I have invited Marie and Alexandra to an old haunt after our first show in town. In addition to rekindling some old flames, it has been a while since I have chased the dragon. What better way to reestablish the old and reinforce the new?

~

The road was slick and dark, shadows flanked by the flickering of lights in the windows of local establishments. Music and smoke emanated from the doors. City life had just begun.

Three cloaked women approached a green door, the oldest of which knocked. A panel opened at eye level and examined the trio. It then emitted a rough sound of disapproval.

“Try next door.”

“I much prefer your color to theirs. Really, Antoine, have you grown so senile?”

The panel blinked, shut, then opened the door. Antoine held his arms open.

“My dear Marguerite, it has been too long! Come, tell me of the times and these fine ladies that follow you.”

“Antoine, this is Mary Contrary and Alexandra Arista. The times have served me well.”

Marguerite reached into her cloak, extracting a miniature elephant that shook its head. Antoine’s eyes widened, narrowed, and smiled as he examined the creature.

“Magnificent! Come, I’ll prepare your old couch and bring a table. You must show us more of these wonders.”

“Believe you me, I have brought more than just pretty ladies.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

* o